Monday, April 27, 2015

Our area is pretty tough

Sounds like a good week. Its strange on mission, there doesn't seem to be enough time to do everything, but at home, the days seemed to drag on and months seemed as years. I bet the missionaries are coming from everywhere to get there hair cut from you. I am sure your name is passed around the mission like crazy. what you said makes me excited about Liberia and Sierra Leone (Liberia has a new mission president called so will get to open up again soon). I cant wait to see those places open back up.

Our area is pretty tough. There are very negative thoughts about our church in Tema, and a lot of anti doctrines floating around. All but two of our investigators have come in contact with anti doctrine and said they don't want to meet with us. One woman we talked to last two weeks said that she prayed about the book of mormon and said that her answer from god is that she shouldn't read the book and 'that Joseph never saw god. It looked just as Joseph's first vision, where satan tried to stop Joseph from seeking the truth, but in this ladies case she was stopped, and wasn't able to see the glorious light that would fill her life with purpose, answers, and motivation and peace. I think she was just scared... But how great are the blessings for those who search ponder and pray. Now a days when I read I'm trying to ponder more when I read, and not just skim over material. Its been super sweet. It has cleared all doubts and keeps me seeking for more knowledge and peace. 

I remember the first few times that I heard strange or bad things about the church. The fist was in fourth grade. I don't remember why, but our teacher was giving each of us tea, for some reason I can't remember. But I knew that I wasn't supposed to drink tea (thank you primary). The teacher asked if anyone had a problem with drinking tea, and I looked to Max Moncur and I remember Max looking at me, and we both stood up as courageous as we could be, and said that we don't drink tea in our church. The teacher asked us what church we go to and we said we were mormon (now here comes the part about obscure views about the church).  Our teacher then told us that it was because of caffeine that we didn't drink tea, and the tea she gave us had no caffeine (now I know that its not because of caffeine, because there is nothing said in section 89 about it and there is no commandment breaking in drinking coke.) 

I didn't know anything about caffeine and I don't even know what tea it was... but now a days I do know why I don't drink tea. Because the prophets have told us not to, and I see that as spoken by god for the benefit of me. I know that the latter day prophets are called of God and receive revelation, because I have searched the Book of Mormon and it truly testifies of Christ and teaches the fulness of his gospel. 

The world may have their view about the latter-day saints, but they will never such happiness know until they see how God views the latter-day saints, and they read the book of Mormon. No matter the case, even as small as two boys who don't drink tea, we can know what is right if we seek Gods direction and search ponder and pray about the Book of Mormon.

This week I will see Tyler Scheossow and I am stoked for that.!!!! 

Yes the nights are terrible if we don't have light, but thats part of the adventure. I am the same weight and the same height. The only difference is tat the meat that was on my arms and my chest and now flab on my stomach,.... but I will reverse that before I come home. I am 70 kilos and 5'8" (155 pounds). I will be ready for Pedros! 

For the Mother's day phone call: I am pretty sure tat the phone call will work the same as last time. I don't know if I will be able to Skype... 2:00 pm should be okay. My church ends by 1. I am also excited to call home.

whelp next week okay. 
elder beckett

PS - mom here is a note for you from sister stevens. 

Please say thanks to your mum for me and tell her that i love her like my own mother, and am so much grateful for her making me feel love and support for some one that I have not even met before, and tell her that my mum says thanks as well. My family and I love her so much, please tell her for us and we love you too, and we hope to see you one day in Sierra Leone. Much love 

No comments:

Post a Comment