Monday, February 24, 2014

One of the big reasons I came on a mission was because I knew that my life would be greatly affected by it!



Well Hello,

I have a lot of experiences here in Salone. I don't really tell you all of them because they aren't that great to dwell on. Its actually not an easy mission to be in because you see so much suffering. It's a good thing we have companions to talk with and laugh with otherwise you would just be sucked into sadness. So, I don't tell you most things for your sakes :) and you will never truly understand what its like here until you come. 

Hot yoga? I have heard of that. If you came here and did yoga it would be the same thing! Elder Bogh and I are trying to get in shape. Rice is basically like a poison, and I am tired of eating it, so we are going to try to eat other stuff, I don't know what really. We are running every morning which is really great. We decided to stop running on the median of the road and found a road to run on that is a little more safe. It's pretty hard to stay healthy here. Most people here are not healthy. You find lots of over weight people who have high blood pressure and other random problems. They essentially eat oil and carbs.

Wow, Landon is home (a friend who just returned from his mission in South Africa)! hahah I can imagine how he talks. Wow, to surf and to eat Pedro's - 
 I bet it was great (Randy and Landon went surfing and to Pedro's day after he was home)!  All I ask is that you send me a Pedro's sticker. I can't even imagine going home, that would be so strange. So sweet to hear about Connor Lee (another friend who just sent in his mission papers and waiting to find out where he will be going)!! Elder Bogh has 6 months till he will go home so I might send my SD card with pictures home soon with the Ostler's daughter.  

Wow, that is really sweet, yeah there are a few things that you could send to me that would be great!  Pres. Ostler, Cody's mission presidents daughter is a friend to one of our friends and his daughter is going to Sierra Leone this week and offered to take items to Cody so this is what he has requested:

1. Pictures of whatever is going on at home recently and a memory card for my camera because I will be sending mine home.
2. Letters
3.  Chocolate 
4.  Another journal
5. Music
6. Vitamins
7. Gillet Fusion razor blades
8. Anything else you want me to enjoy :)

I received a letter from Sister T. It was one she sent me 3 months ago, I finally got it. I loved all the pictures inside. I got the package from Aunt Pam. The chocolate is what kept me alive this week. The seasonings will really come in handy, I will definitely use them. The Nuetella is glorious, I put it on all of my pancakes every morning. The hot chocolate is also great, I have enjoyed this week! Thank you!

So this week was like waking up from a 5 hour nap, all sweaty and glorious. Elder Bogh and I have been on fire. We have found the coolest poeple and have taught the coolest lessons. I am loving Elder Bogh.

If you read Doctrine & Covenants 4:4  "For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul" ... you see that he that thrusts in his sickle with his might gains his own salvation. I have seen that on my mission, even just on the 6 months that I have been here. I couldn't even imagine what my life would be like if I didn't come. I have been listening to a talk by Gordon B Hinckley about "Switch Points" in our lives (you can click here to read or listen to), and how the choices we make lead our lives down certain paths. The small and big choices that we make in our lives have a great affect on who we become. One of the big reasons I came on a mission was because I knew that my life would be greatly affected by it, and it was the best thing for me.. now that I'm here I have learned so much and really have come to love the gospel of Jesus Christ. A mission is so great!

That's all folks!
Elder Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment